Tuesday, July 11, 2017

DRY BONES, RUNNY NOSE, WHO'S THE BOSS


My allergies were calm this morning just long enough for a question to rear its ugly head.

I've been checking the calendar so I won't miss the Prolia inj at the end of this month.

And I actually want) to take the next bone density test, but secretly plan it for after Prolia inj #4 has had a chance to work.

The question I shouldn't face right now is:  What if that right hip isn't better?

I've always been sure that I believe in Prolia.  But there are plenty of things patients and doctors believe in that turn out to be.....not infallible.)  I like Prolia, because I am impressed with how it works in the body.  Short version - it does its work and then goes away.

The pills on the other hand grip onto one's bones and may be hard to dislodge.  Like Bondo on a hole in your car (ask your boyfriend.  He may give you a lecture on cars, but he'll probably like that better than a plate of pancakes.  Okay, enough on Bondo.)

The doctor has already hinted that because I already had osteoporosis when I started Prolia, I may have to take more Prolia than these four shots.  Will I do that?

This question will not be answered until Prolia shot 4 has had a chance to act, and the density test results are out.  Probably in August.

Now my fear of authority figures is in play. He's the authority figure here. I feel guilty if I wait for the density test.  And  I still tend to think that if the doctor wants more Prolia, I'll have no choice.   That can be a dangerous attitude for a patient to get.

This was going to be a 3-sentence post.  Oops.  At this moment I don't know.  If the hip isn't better, I may agree to more Prolia.   Not because he's an authority figure, but because I trust him and want him as my doctor.

I still remember that first day in his waiting room when the woman said, "You have the good doctor!"




No comments: