Wednesday, May 21, 2014

TAMOXIFEN? - Scary reading, and exams that aren't optional!

I read murder mysteries.  But I don't like the ones that are too scary - the ones where we know in ugly detail what the psychopath is planning to do to his next defenseless victim.

This morning I read something even more scary - the manufacturer leaflet that comes with Tamoxifen (Nolvadex.)  I've known for years that warnings for medicine change sometimes. (We usually get that news on the Rx bottle or a leaflet that the drugstore publishes.)  And we often ignore it   But for certain powerful medicines, the drug store will give us the manufacturer leaflet, full of too-small print, and very important.    

The Tamoxifen manufacturer leaflet says:  "Because Nolvadex does not prevent all breast cancers, and you may get other types. . . "

WAIT A MINUTE!  This is the first I've heard of this, despite the deluge of medical news I get every day for this blog.

Just a week ago, I learned of new research to help women who don't metabolize Tamoxifen in a way that helps them.  (See May 5, DRUG NEWS - Bypass Tamoxifen. . .)  And I've heard a woman say:  "I took Tamoxifen and the cancer came back!"

After that, I insisted that my doctor refer me to an OB/GYN.  I have an appointment with one next week.

Now I read that this stuff  I take doesn't even prevent all types of Bc!  So I decided:

The new OB/Gyn doctor had better be enthusiastic about examining my breasts herself, as well as below-the-belt focus. Or else.
Daily exercise isn't optional.
I need to pay even more attention to my body.
I need to be even more careful, let's say obsessive, about what I breathe, eat, and put on my body.  Like reading labels.  And knowing the names of dangerous stuff.
I need to tell everyone to read the manufacturer leaflet that comes with Tamoxifen, and in your "spare time," read the drugstore-published leaflet that comes with other Rx.

I wish you health.  

(For some reason, the search feature on my blog is not always complete.  Please contact me if you can't find a particular post.)


No comments: