Wednesday, March 26, 2014

WHAT SHOULD A DRUGSTORE SELL?

Until I was about four years old, I lived in great place - a tiny neighborhood on a dead-end street, not far from Perry's Drug Store. My wonderful baby sitter, Mrs. Doshan, would put on her white shoes and walk over there holding my hand.   

There was a soda fountain, of course.  Any self-respecting drug emporium had one.  They probably had an actual pharmacy, and a pharmacist, and some Carter's Little Liver Pills and Coconut Oil Shampoo.  But, I had my priorities.

Ice cream was considered a healthy food then, since it contained actual milk and cream and ingredients you could pronounce.   

Eventually, I grew up.  There was no streetcar when I got back to northern Indiana, so the nearest drugstore had free delivery for prescriptions.   

Then I moved across the country, and got medical problems.  


There is a drug store here we can drive to.  There is no soda fountain.  I bought a soft "hoodie" sweatshirt there. And Christmas wrapping 75% off.  


Oh, and I get my prescriptions filled there.  They have one tiny box of soy-free snack bars.   One of my prescriptions is Tamoxifen.  Soy is not allowed. Some days I'd do just about anything for a cookie with no soy.  I'm also avoiding dairy.   

Everyone who works there is professional and very nice, but I'm not ready to have a stranger give me a shot.

So a day goes like this:  Get my prescriptions, and a pair of socks at CVS.  They are still out of the padding I need for my foot.


Then drive all the way back past my neighborhood to a market. There I can get one kind of soy free nutrition bar,  some almond milk for my decaf, and a couple of almond yoghurts (soy free.)  The non-dairy "ice cream" contains soy, blast it!  A larger store in this chain sells a soy free pancake mix.  Gee.  


Have I missed some counter or refrigerator at my drug store?

The drugstore doesn't sell the Xylitol gum that the dentist gives samples of, but there is some Xylitol in the Trident.  

During a fire season once in LA, my doctor wanted me to wear a cotton hospital mask on my walks through my neighborhood.   The drug store there was out of the masks, and never got any more.  


 If you can operate a computer pretty well, are patient with pushing buttons, open an account, and provide your health profile, you can order on line and get home delivery from CVS.  It's probably easier than making an airline reservation.

In this area, WalMart and HEB will deliver prescriptions. HEB doesn't charge if it's two or more prescriptions.  Apparently you need to live in Dallas/Fort Worth to get Walgreen's same day delivery.   

But isn't part of the prescription deal that we're supposed to know and trust our pharmacist?  Like when the directions for the medicine are a bit fuzzy?  Or the pills are a different color than last month?  Like on Sunday when your doctor isn't the one on call and you have a question?  Like when you need them to check the insurance again right away?

What's wrong with this picture?  

What should we demand from a drug store?  How do we do that?





  

No comments: