Thursday, January 16, 2014

LUMPECTOMY - THE SEQUEL . . . What the nurse really said

The nurse read aloud the  form I signed after the last treatment.  That was way too much spoken information for me to memorize.

The form says:

"Radiation continues to work for several weeks after your last treatment, therefore the effects will continue for approximately 2-4 weeks."  Luckily I haven't made plans for an outdoor art fair or a hike.

"Always use a sunblock agent with an SPF of at least 15, especially if you will be in the sun for 30 minutes or longer."   I also have a Eucerin with mineral sunblock agent, but I was hesitant to use it on the treated breast, so I've just avoided the sun so far.  

Since  I once several years ago burned right through a tee shirt, I will use this sunblock.

"Avoid extremes in temperature in the treated area (heating pads, hot tubs, ice bags.)"  

At the end, it encourages calling the nurse or Dr. Sands with questions, and mentions continuing my care with Dr. Hubbard, the surgeon.  I hope he continues with me as long as I feel I need to see him.

Has my energy already started to come back? Or is it just awareness of how much I haven't done that needs doing, especially for the health of the rest of me?

No comments: